20.11.08

"Dear Mr.McGuinty..."

"Dear Mr.McGuinty. My son is dead. It's not your fault, but you can help."

So you know the story. Early september, Tyler Mulcahy goes up north with three friends. They Drink Completely Irresponsibly, they swerve off a cliff, three die.

September 6th, Tim Mulcahy buys a full page ad in the Toronto Star, stating the above guote, or something along the lines.

Two Months later, a new legislation is born. It restricts teenage driving regulations, in hopes of preventing such incidents.

Dear Mr.Mcguinty. My Privelages are being taken away. It's not your fault...wait, it kind of is. So I guess, that means you could probably help.

I'd write more about how I disagree with the new laws, but I'm sure, along with your own opinions, you've heard enough. Besides, Mr.McGuinty seems to have a 'selective hearing', so to speak. I make this claim with regards to an article in the Toronto star, which Considers the amount of attention the government has paid to a single car crash, while thousands of african-american mothers plead for help while their sons die of gang violence on the streets of Toronto.

The general response to this legislation seems to be fairly negative in the eyes of the teenage population, as expected, yet the older crowd seems to be fairly divided on the issue. I have no proof of the latter statement, its just a logical estimation based on responses to published pieces, and articles I have read. Now, I know that us, being 'irresponsible and irrational teens', would seemingly have to oppose this law, because it hinders our privelages. But I find it funny how everyone who is affected by the law, disagrees with it. That being said, the last time I checked, a democracy was 'a government of the people', not 'a government of the people who agree with the legislations', or a' government of the people above 21'.

That being said, why would the governemnt listen to us? They think wer're irresponsible and irrational. Well, sometimes we are, but alot of us aren't. Hey, I think they call that a generalization. Wait a minute! Assuming that the entire teenage population are irresponsible drivers and require this legislation in order to be safe based on very few incidents is also a generalization! So maybe the government should stop generalizing.

so...what does this mean for me? If this goes through, and the protests don't work, and my hunger-strike in Jail is my only ticket out, what consequesnces am I, as a teenage driver, going to face?

Well It's going to take you 30-34 months to get your full G license, as opposed to the traditional 20-24 months.

Also, assuming Brendan can't drive me everywhere (I love ya man), I now need bus passes. 2 zone, thats $100 a month. from now until Next september, that's $1000. Oh boy, as a teenager preparing for university, do I ever love paying people! that's the equivelant of, depending on where you go, most of your first year textbooks.

Graduation Roadtrip! Two people to a car that seats five! let's all pay five times for the amount of gas!

So that's all i can think of for now, but there are many more. if you guys can think of consequences, post them up, let's hear what you guys got to say!

Tim Mulcahy. I am sorry about your loss, and understand the pain you must be going though. I also recognice and commemorate how you are trying to place a positive example for teenage drivers as a result. However, I do not agree with your son's incident's involvement with this legislation. your son's death is quite irrelevant to the proposed bills, other than the fact that these bills are based on death prevention. Also on account of your son's multiple speeding tickets, and irresponsibilty regarding drinking and driving, your son's case should not have any influence on a law adressing a large, and hopefully more responsible general population.

Some links to related articles:

I LOVE THIS ONE!!! It's responses to the article I last posted, they are really good. I don't think mine will ever get chosen, because I do not write professionally enough.

http://www.thestar.com/article/538507

One about a seventeen year old who complains about not being able to take his friends around in his SUV:

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/539502

No comments:

hum-wha?

I live on a hill, and it's pretty humdrum. I also take pictures.

Blog Archive